This freshly milled, whole wheat chocolate cake recipe is such a good one. The texture is moist and the flavor is divine! You cannot tell that this recipe is made with whole wheat and reduced sugar. Give it a try, I’m certain you will love it!
Freshly Milled Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake
My oldest daughter helped me come up with this recipe and the coffee was her idea. She has watched almost every episode of the food network’s kids baking championship and she has learned SO much about baking from it. She said the hot coffee adds a richness and depth of flavor and boy was she right! This cake is over the top delicious and I am so excited to share it with you!
- 2 cups freshly milled soft white flour, ground on the "pastry" setting(or whole wheat pastry flour from the store)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup maple sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup boiling coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 eggs
- preheat oven to 350* F. Prepare two or three 9 inch cake pans by spraying with non stick spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Use paddle attachment to combine well.
- In the same bowl, add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla to the dry mixture and mix on medium speed. Once combined, reduce speed and slowly add boiling coffee to the bowl and continue mixing. *Note, the cake batter will be very thin at this point after adding the coffee - don't worry, it's supposed to be!
- Evenly distribute the batter into 2 or 3 cake pans and bake for 20 minutes if using three cake pans and 30 minutes if using two.
- Cakes are done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool for 7-10 minutes and then remove from cake pans. Allow cakes to fully cool before frosting with your favorite frosting recipe.
- The coffee provides an amazing depth of flavor to the chocolate cake. Don't skip this part. Just prepare a cup of coffee just as you would if you were drinking it, but make sure it's nice and hot.
- The cake batter will be quite thin, not to worry - it's supposed to be that way.